The basic idea behind a Distributed Antenna System(DAS) is to utilize several different antennas over a required coverage area. Using this approach lessens the overall power requirements, as these more localized antennas can be placed more effectively to suit a smaller area rather than having a single, larger antenna that is a compromise for the wider coverage needed. An approach involving a Distributed Antenna System also helps overcome the shadowing and penetration losses encountered by a singular antenna, as a line of sight link is available more frequently. As a result the levels of absorption are lower meaning the overall power levels can be reduced.
The Key Features of a Distributed Antenna System are:
- Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) are commercial equipment that boosts cell signal coverage (2G, 3G, & 4G LTE) inside large buildings.
- Indoor, in-building DAS systems (or iDAS) provide boosted reception and coverage inside venues such as multi-story office buildings, convention centres, and stadiums.
- Outdoor DAS systems (or oDAS) provide a stronger signal and more reliable connection in open spaces in an outside area.
- DAS systems are a network of antennas connected by fibre optic cables and linked to an amplifier (repeater) that has a direct connection to either one or multiple wireless service providers.
- By having direct access to a carrier’s core network, cellular devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops are not dependent on cell towers. Instead they receive boosted signal from the DAS antenna systems broadcasting inside the building. This allows for constant connection in all areas for convenience, business, and emergencies.
The Key Benefits of a distributed antenna system installation include:
- Increased bandwidth for faster cellular data speeds
- Enhanced wireless coverage for many building designs and scenarios
- Support for up to thousands of mobile devices & cell phones simultaneously
- Automated monitoring systems maintain optimal performance and detect any problems
- Reduces broadband Wi-Fi network strain & landline dependency
- Scalable and upgradable for future-proof technology and expansion
With a majority of cell phone use occurring indoors coupled with the rapid demand and growth of video, streaming real-time data, and other mobile essentials, DAS technology is the most powerful wireless solution available for any modern enterprises and businesses.
The end result is simple: more productivity, efficiency, and seamless workflow. And the end of dropped calls, poor voice quality, stuck text messages, slow internet, and long loading screens.
If you have any questions regarding DAS – or any of your communications needs – feel free to contact me directly through the form below. I look forward to hearing from you!